Gray manes have become a trend in recent times, but wearing a beautiful white mane is not just a matter of leaving gray hair to your free will, but requires a series of care to keep them radiant.
Whether you have left your hair with your naturally gray hair or if you want to shade the gray hair while preserving your usual color, in the following article we will tell you how to shade the gray hair, whether you have blonde or dark hair. In addition, we give you some tricks to shade the gray hair with natural products. So that you do not have to resort to dyes or chemicals, let’s do it!
|Table of Contents|
|1. How to shade gray hair on black hair|
2. How to shade gray to blond
3. How to shade gray to gray
4. How to shade gray hair in fantasy hair
5. How to shade gray hair with natural products
How to shade gray hair on black hair
If you have dark or black hair, it will take time for the gray to show through, so you may want to keep it at bay. One way to color gray hair naturally and without having to resort to constantly dyeing your hair with chemicals is to use plant colors such as henna, black tea, chamomile, indigo, walnut, among others.
These types of colorations, in addition to being natural, manage to hide gray hair and the root effect. In this case, we are going to show you how to shade gray hair with henna . To prepare your nuance coloring you need:
- 3 tablespoons of henna (powder)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
To make and apply this natural gray hair dye, follow these steps:
- Mix both ingredients well until you get a paste with a homogeneous and consistent texture.
- Apply on gray hair, generally in the root zone, and cover with a plastic cap.
- You must let it act for at least 3 hours. That is why we recommend you put on a hat and take advantage of the time to do other things at home such as making a coffee and reading a book.
- After a time, rinse well with plenty of warm water.
Read this Article if your interested: How to remove black hair dye without bleaching
How to shade gray to blond
If your hair is blonde and your gray hair begins to show, you can tint them to recover the blonde hue, we are going to tell you how to get blonde hair to your gray hair.
The best option is to shade the gray hair with a semi-permanent shade or color bath , that is, a coloration that gradually disappears with the washes. The color will depend on the shade of blonde you have in the rest of the hair: gold, ash, iridescent or platinum .
For this, you need a blonde coloration with any of the above highlights, choose the one that is most similar to your hair color and follow these steps:
- Pour the mixture into a bowl. You have to mix the color with the developer liquid.
- Stir well until you get a smooth paste without lumps.
- Put on an old T-shirt or protect your clothes with a towel and put on your gloves.
- Separate the hair into 4 partitions to make the application easier. You can make a line in the middle and then divide it from ear to ear.
- Apply the color only to the roots to shade them.
- You can make the application with a brush like a hairdresser’s or with your fingers if you don’t have anything similar.
- Once the product is spread on the roots, it leaves an exposure time of about 20 minutes.
- After a time, rinse with warm water.
How to shade gray to gray
If you have decided to leave your gray hair in plain sight and wear a beautiful, on-trend white mane, you will need to tint the shade from time to time to prevent the gray hair from acquiring unwanted reflections, as it is common for gray hair to tend to yellow. If you want to know how to shade gray hair with shampoo , you can apply shading shades that you will find with different shades.
For example, there are violet, ash or bluish shampoos. Violet is used to remove the yellow reflection from gray hair and the rest of shampoos are used to add a more platinum or white tone to your hair color. The choice of one or the other will depend on the effect you want to achieve on your gray hairs. To color gray hair with shampoo, follow these steps:
- Lightens the hair.
- Apply a first coat of shampoo with your regular shampoo. Toning shampoos also contain cleaning agents, but if you want to take advantage of the product, do the first wash with normal shampoo.
- Rinse well so there are no traces of foam on the hair.
- For the second wash, put on gloves (depending on the color of the shampoo, it can stain the skin and clothes) and spread the product on the hair.
- Massage all over your hair to make sure the color is spread throughout all areas. It is important that the shampoo foams.
- Leave to act for about 20 minutes, unless the manufacturer’s instructions indicate another time.
- After the exposure time, rinse the hair well with plenty of warm water. If it can be cold, even better.
- To maintain a nice nuance in your gray hair and that the tone chosen to nuance it is alive, you can repeat this process every two weeks.
Another one of the home tricks to whiten gray hair and remove blonde or orange highlights from hair is to do it with gentian violet (also called crystal violet or methyl violet). To know how to shade gray hair with gentian violet and remove unwanted colors, you can add 1 or 2 drops in the amount of shampoo you are going to use when washing your hair.
How to shade gray hair in fantasy hair
If you have hair of a vibrant color such as red, purple, purple or copper , for example, when gray hair appears, the contrast effect between the root and the rest of the hair is much greater, which creates an unsightly effect.
In addition to gray hair, this hair has the problem that the color loses strength and looks dull and dull.
The visibility of the gray hairs on these colors becomes noticeable in the first week after you have applied the color, so to cover them you would have to apply the dye every week. To avoid this unnecessary damage to the hair so frequently, you can also use matting shampoos.
To nuance the gray hair in fantasy hair , you only have to wash with the color shampoo every two weeks or once a week. The frequency will depend on the growth of your hair and how long it takes for the gray hair to become evident. This is how you should do it:
- Wash your hair with your usual shampoo.
- Put on gloves because these color shampoos usually stain your hands, especially if it is an intense color.
- Apply a second shampoo wash, this time with the shampoo. Massage until foam comes out.
- Leave to act for 5-10 minutes. Depending on the color and the manufacturer, the time may vary.
- Rinse with plenty of cold water.
How to shade gray hair with natural products
And if you do not want to see your hair with gray hair, but you resist the idea of using products that contain chemicals or other ingredients, we want to give you various home remedies for gray hair. Take note!
Chamomile and turmeric
If your hair is blonde, gold or light brown and gray hairs start to appear, you have the option of shading them without having to resort to dyes. Options for naturally gray hair dyes include using a mixture of chamomile and turmeric. This is what you will need to make this easy gray cover:
- 1 tablespoon of natural chamomile
- 4 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 500 ml of water
To prepare the color and apply it to your hair, follow these steps:
- Put the water in a pot to heat and, when it comes to a boil, add the chamomile and the turmeric.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Wash the hair with your usual shampoo and rinse.
- Add the mixture and rub as if you were applying the shampoo. Also massage the scalp.
- Let it act and clarify.
- Repeat the process two or three times a week.
Another natural product to beautify gray hair is coffee. Coffee will serve to nuance gray hair if your hair is brown with dark shades. To do this removes gray hair with coffee, you just need to follow these steps:
- Prepare a couple of cups of black coffee and let cool.
- Wash your hair with your usual shampoo and rinse.
- Once rinsed, pour the coffee you have prepared and let cool on your hair.
- Massage gently so that the liquid impregnates all the hair and covers the gray hair.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water and wash again with your usual shampoo.
Potato cooking water
The water resulting from the cooking of potato peelings is a popular home remedy to tint gray hair naturally . This broth is also full of vitamins and minerals that will help strengthen your hair. You only need the shells of about 4 potatoes and 2 liters of water. This is the way to prepare it:
- Put the water in a pot and add the potato peelings.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Wait for it to cool down.
- Strain the liquid and pour it into a container.
And this is how you should apply it:
- Rinse hair and remove excess moisture.
- Apply the liquid to the hair and gently massage the scalp.
- If you find it easier you can spray it with a spray.
- Leave to act for 20 minutes.
- After this time, rinse with plenty of warm water.
- You can repeat this process up to 3 times a week.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to shade gray hair, we recommend you visit our Beauty category.