Has it ever happened to you that you decide to dye your hair at home and the result is not what you expected? Sometimes the coloration reaches an unwanted reflection and other times the color appears darker than you intended. Dyeing at home has many advantages, but when something goes wrong and you don’t like the resulting color, trouble comes.
In the following article, we want to tell you how to get rid of permanent hair dye fast, as well as what you need to remove a dark dye from your hair. If you are one of those who end up with more dye on the skin than in the hair, don’t worry. We also have remedies, how to remove hair dye from skin. Take a good note and don’t miss any detail!
How to remove dye from hair and leave it natural
Before starting, you have to know that returning to your natural color using home remedies is not an easy task. These tricks will help you remove the dye or lighten a couple of shades . In some cases, it may be enough to reach your natural tone again, but in other cases, such as hair with traces of previous pigments, it may cost more to remove them. If you can’t get the tone you want, it is best to go to a beauty center to darken or lighten your hair.
Homemade shampoo with bicarbonate
You can remove the dye from your hair at home by shampooing. To do this, mix dandruff shampoo and bicarbonate in equal proportions in a container. You can make this mixture with any type of shampoo, but we recommend the anti-dandruff because it has a greater drag power. Now follow these steps to apply it:
- Once you have a homogeneous mixture, apply the shampoo to your hair.
- As you do this, insist a little more on the middle of the hair and the ends. Massage each strand with the shampoo to promote pigment drag.
- When all the hair is impregnated with the mixture, leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes. After the exposure time, rinse with plenty of water and repeat the process.
- The results should be visible from the first application, although do not expect the dye to have been completely removed from the hair, you will only see a slight lightening.
Lemon rinses are a home remedy to remove hair dye without damaging it , as it is a natural method that has great lightening power. It is a very simple procedure for which you only need to squeeze the juice of one lemon beforehand. Those are the steps:
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- When your hair is soapy and lather enough, add the juice of a lemon to your hair and massage.
- Leave on for approximately 5 minutes.
- Once the exposure time has passed, apply conditioner or mask and let it act for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water until the hair is free of foam.
- Repeat the operation.
The result of this home remedy is progressive, but being a mixture that does not damage the hair, you can repeat it as many times as you need.
Home treatment with vitamin C
This remedy that we are going to tell you next will only work if you have ammonia-free dye on your hair , as it is not effective for dyes that contain ammonia. With it you can lighten 1 to 2 tones and you only need 1 or 2 effervescent tablets of vitamin C.
- Dissolve the two effervescent tablets in a large glass of water.
- Apply the mixture to previously moistened hair and massage in to thoroughly saturate each strand.
- Put on a shower cap and let it sit for about 20 minutes, observing the shade every 5 minutes or so.
- Rinse with plenty of water until the product remains are completely removed and apply a mask to hydrate the hair.
- Leave the mask to act for 10 minutes and rinse.
Another way to apply this method is by following the same steps except the first. To do it this way, you must crush the vitamin C tablets and mix them with your usual shampoo. Wash the hair with the resulting mixture and leave it to act in the same way and for the same time as with the previous method.
This technique is not harmful to the hair, but it can dry it out a bit, so it is important that you do not forget the last step: apply hydration and let it act.
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar mask
Finally, we will tell you a trick, you also homemade baking soda to remove hair dye. So that you can remove the color from your hair. vinegar to remove hair dye used also. You only need baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and water.
- Mix one part of baking soda with one part of apple cider vinegar until you have a smooth paste.
- Add warm water little by little until you get a not very thick paste, with a texture similar to that of shampoo.
- Apply the mixture on the hair and massage well so that all the hair is soaked with the mixture (in this way you will avoid patches of color).
- Once all the hair is well impregnated, cover the head with a shower cap and leave for 30 minutes.
- After time, rinse thoroughly with warm water.
We recommend that if you want to remove a very dark dye, repeat the operation a maximum of 3 times a week.
In the following article you will find How to Shade the gray hair
Remember that, although the remedies that we offer you are not harmful to the hair, it is recommended that you reinforce the hydration of your hair to prevent it from drying out due to the effect of some ingredients.
How to lighten a dark tint
Have you dyed yourself at home and the result has not been as desired? It is not the first time that we buy a hair dye and when we apply it we see that it has been very dark and it is not the result we wanted.
Color sweeping is a technique used by hairdressing professionals to drag unwanted hues into the hair. If you want to lighten your dyed hair because you have not reached the color you wanted or the reflection has turned towards an unflattering tone, the color sweep may be the option for you.
This method is one of the most delicate to perform, as it includes discoloration in the mixture. Therefore, we recommend applying it with caution.
To prepare it, you only need to mix 2 parts of warm water, 2 parts of shampoo and one part of bleaching powder in a bowl . These proportions will vary depending on the result and the drag force you want to achieve, we do not recommend using more than one part of bleaching because the result can get out of hand. To use the mixture, follow these steps:
- Apply to hair without touching the root or natural growth area.
- Cover by strands and massage to drag the artificial pigment.
- Leave it to act, but observe the color that the hair is acquiring.
- When you reach the desired tone level, rinse off all the product, wash with your usual shampoo, and apply a mask to hydrate.
One of the most effective ways to remove black dye from hair is with the use of a specific product. These remover products are found mainly in specialized hairdressing and aesthetic stores, in beauty centers or even in some supermarkets.
Normally and depending on the brand, it comes in a format with 2 products of liquid consistency that you must mix and apply on dry hair. If your hair has already grown a little, avoid letting the product touch the roots. Once applied, leave it to act for 20 minutes and rinse with plenty of water. Then wash your hair with shampoo.
What we like most about this type of product is that it can lighten the dark dye up to 2 tones and does not contain ammonia or any bleaching product, so it will not damage your hair.
In the following article you will find How to Natural hair dyes
Chamomile and honey
When it comes to lightening a dark tint using home remedies, chamomile and honey are two of the ingredients that are most used to achieve this. It is said that honey can release hydrogen peroxide, an essential ingredient for lightening hair tone.
We suggest you combine these two elements with so much lightening power in one infusion. You just have to bring water to boil and add chamomile (if it is natural and not in a sachet, the effect will be greater). When infused, add a tablespoon of honey, stir and let it temper.
Apply the liquid through the hair, massage each lock, and leave for about 30 minutes. Then rinse with plenty of water.
How to remove hair dye from skin
When we apply the dye at home, it is common to end up with stains of color on the skin, especially on the arms, hands, neck, and the entire contour of the face. If you tend to get dye stains every time you color yourself, here are some tips to remove hair dye stains from your skin.
- Toothpaste: Toothpaste acts as a cleaning agent. Just spread a thin layer on the stain and massage for at least 1 minute. Remove with a cotton ball dipped in warm water and say goodbye to the stain.
- Lemon juice: it involves applying a little lemon juice or vinegar to the area that has become dirty and rubbing gently for about 30 seconds. Then rinse and apply a moisturizing lotion, as it can dry out the skin.
- Oily products: Products that have oils in their composition, such as oily makeup removers or baby oil, work very well to remove the tint from the skin. As in the previous tricks, you just have to apply with gentle movements and remove them.
And if you do not want to have to go to these remedies, we recommend that you prevent and put on some product before applying the dye. In professional stores you will find specific products to apply to the skin before coloring, but you can also use cosmetics that you have at home such as petroleum jelly, sweet almond oil or a mask.
It is about using greasy products around the face that serve as a barrier between the skin and the dye. You must apply them carefully and avoid touching the hair since being so greasy they can create a film and make it difficult for the color to penetrate the hair.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to remove hair dye, we recommend that you enter our Beauty category.