Commercial dyes contain tons of chemical components that can irreparably damage hair, drying it out and making it much weaker. However, to enhance the tonality of our hair and make it look more beautiful and radiant, it is possible to dye it with some natural extracts that are not at all aggressive, and that, even if temporarily, can intensify the color and even hide some gray hair. Find out in the following article on How to find the natural hair dyes that you have at your fingertips and how you should use them to carry out your own hairdressing session
|Table of Contents|
3. Black tea
5. Tips for using natural dyes
The henna is a dye that is obtained from a plant called henna, which grows in parts of North Africa and India. It has been traditionally used by Arab women to get tattoos on their hands and feet, but also as a natural dye for reddish hair, as this is the tone it provides when applied to hair fibers. In addition, it is the only dye that allows dyeing even the hair roots and the one that offers a longer duration, since it can range from approximately 3 months.
Not only is it a great option to enhance reddish hair color, but it can also bring benefits to hair, leaving it brighter, thicker, and more nourished.
How to dye your hair with henna
First of all, you should purchase henna in a store specialized in the sale of natural products, and then carry out the following steps:
- In a plastic container, mix 30 g of henna with 125 ml of hot water and stir until creating a consistent paste. These amounts should vary depending on the amount of hair you have.
- Protect your hands with plastic gloves and apply the henna paste on dry and preferably slightly clean hair so that the pigments penetrate better. Distribute it through all the strands evenly, affecting the roots.
- When you have applied it, wait 1 hour and, after this time, rinse with plenty of water until it comes out clean.
- Finally, wash your hair as usual and apply a conditioner.
It is important to keep in mind that on hair that has already been dyed, henna can cause parts with an uneven color to remain, so in this case, its use is not highly recommended.
Read this Article if your Interested: How to Shade the gray hair
Many commercial dyes have walnut leaves in their composition , and these have turned out to be an excellent option to enhance the color of brown hair and cover the first gray hairs that appear in dark manes. All this is thanks to the fact that these leaves have juglones, which is a natural colorant that provides an intense chestnut hue and, in addition, provides more shine and resistance to the mane.
How to dye your hair with walnut
To unify the tone of brown hair or add more intensity to the color, you must first buy the walnut leaves, which you can find in herbalists or natural products stores. The steps to follow to stain with walnut are:
- Put 1 liter of water to boil in a pot and when it reaches the boiling point, add 2 handfuls of walnut leaves.
- Reduce the heat to low and allow it to boil for 5 more minutes.
- Wait for it to cool and strain the mixture to be left with only liquid.
- Apply all over the hair evenly and leave on for at least 30 minutes.
- After that time, rinse and wash as you usually do.
The Black or darker hair can benefit from natural dyes such as black tea, which can darken hair without damaging and even recover the original key when you have highlights or reflections.
The treatment, in this case, is quite simple and you only have to prepare 2 well-concentrated black tea infusions. Then wait for them to cool down for a few minutes, and then you’ll need to use them as a hair rinse. That is, pour them all over your hair, distributing them well and let it act for about 20 minutes. Finally, rinse and wash your hair as usual. Repeat the treatment twice more if you want the dark tone to be more intense.
Another of the most effective natural hair dyes and in this case for blond women or with very light brown hair, is chamomile. This plant is widely used to lighten hair and provide it with very attractive and radiant golden highlights, simulating the effect of sunlight on the mane. It can also be used to conceal gray hair on light hair.
Boil 4 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers in 1/2 liter of water, let stand 5 minutes and strain the liquid obtained. Use it as a hair rinse after washing your hair, leave it to work for about 20 or 30 minutes and, finally, wash as usual.
Another option that may offer you more lasting results is to add 1 tablespoon of turmeric to the previous mixture just when the chamomile flowers are boiling. You must apply the natural dye in the same way as the previous one, that is, as a rinse.
Tips for using natural dyes
In order for natural dyes like these to unify the color of your hair and make them perfect, it is important that you take into account some tips when using them:
- When preparing them, use plastic utensils and containers, avoiding metal or aluminum ones so that they do not lose their properties.
- Once you apply them to the hair, cover the mane with plastic wrap so that the dye penetrates better thanks to the action of heat.
- Repeat the treatment after a few days so that the results are noticeable and are more lasting.
- If your hair is drier than usual, it is important that you hydrate it with a nourishing mask.
- Wash your hair with natural shampoos so that the color of the natural dye does not fade as quickly.
- Keep in mind that natural dyes do not offer the same results nor are they as durable as chemical dyes, but they can be used to unify and enhance the tone without damaging the hair.
If you want to read more articles similar to Natural hair dyes, we recommend you visit our Beauty category.