Faced with the appearance and threat of diseases such as coronavirus, there are some fundamental tips that we should all follow to keep ourselves protected and, in turn, avoid putting the health of others at risk. One of these trips is to wash your hands well with soap and water constantly, since only through proper hygiene can we keep viruses at bay.
However, pharmacies and supermarkets around the world are beginning to notice the shortage of some disinfectant products due to the high demand of the population. Do not worry, we explain how to make alcohol gel, a recipe shared by the World Health Organization (WHO) to try to stop the rapid spread of the coronavirus.
|1. How to make an antibacterial gel to fight coronavirus|
2. How to make homemade gel alcohol – ingredients
3. How to make homemade antibacterial gel – step by step
How to make antibacterial gel to fight coronavirus
Among the prevention mechanisms that we cannot forget when fighting the coronavirus is to wash your hands as often as possible with soap and water.
Since the WHO announced the latest measures and advice, hand sanitizer has become one of the most demanded products in supermarkets and pharmacies (as well as masks), which is why many people have worried about finding how to do homemade antibacterial gel or how to make hand sanitizer without alcohol.
But do homemade disinfectants work to prevent coronavirus? In the guide published by the WHO, it is specified that the process of making homemade disinfectant hydrogel is only intended at the local production level and, in fact, its preparation for individual use is not recommended . This is because 96% alcohol is highly flammable if not handled correctly, just like liquid glycerin, since this type of disinfecting gels only fulfill their function if they are made with sterile material and with hygiene and antiseptic conditions. adequate, such as those offered by pharmaceutical laboratories.
How to make homemade gel alcohol Ingredients
Do you want to learn how to make natural antibacterial gel alcohol? According to the guide published by the World Health Organization, these are the ingredients that professionals need to make alcohol in a homemade gel. Although in its text the WHO explains how to make 10 liters of this remedy, we will adapt the measures so that you can make only 1 liter of homemade hand sanitizer. You will need to:
- Etanol 96%: 833,3ml
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide: 41.7ml
- Glycerol 98%: 14.5ml
- Sterile or cold boiled distilled water
If you do not have ethanol, you can substitute this product for 99.8% isopropyl alcohol (751.5ml) . Hydrogen peroxide, liquid glycerin, and water are essential, so you won’t be able to replace them. You will also need:
- 1 liter glass or plastic bottles with internal screw caps or plastic tanks large enough to mix without overflowing.
- Wood, plastic or metal mixers.
- Test tubes and measuring jugs.
- Plastic or metallic funnel.
- Plastic bottles with leakproof closure.
- A breathalyzer: the temperature scale appears at the bottom and the concentrations of ethanol (percentages v / v and p / p) at the top.
For all this, the WHO recommends buying the hand sanitizer at the pharmacy and advises that it be specific to prevent infections, not just to sanitize. With this in mind, we remember that only those who have the right ingredients and materials will be able to learn how to make gel alcohol.
How to make homemade antibacterial gel – step by step
We want to remember that this step-by-step is designed for those professionals who work locally, so if you are thinking of making an alcohol-based disinfectant gel for your individual use, we should recommend that you first try to buy the product in the pharmacy or in other specialized stores.
If you have the appropriate materials and knowledge, this is the step-by-step that you will have to follow to learn how to make hand sanitizer gel, a remedy that will allow you to inactivate the possible pathogenic microorganisms of the body.
- Pour the stipulated alcohol into the large bottle or into the tank you have prepared. Remember that only if the materials are recently and properly sterilized will it work.
- Add the hydrogen peroxide with the cylinder.
- Add the glycerol with a cylinder. Glycerol is very viscous and adheres to the walls of the cylinder, so you will have to clean it with sterile or cold boiled distilled water before pouring its contents into the bottle.
- Fill the bottle or reservoir up to the 1 liter mark with sterile or cold boiled distilled water.
- Once the preparation is finished, put the cap or screw cap on the bottle as soon as possible to avoid evaporation.
- Mix the solution by gently shaking or using a stirrer.
- Immediately distribute the solution among the final containers and quarantine them for 72 hours before using them. During this time, spores present in alcohol or in new or reused bottles will be destroyed.
This article is merely informative. We do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to how to make hand sanitizer spray, we recommend that you enter our Health category.
World Health Organization (WHO). (2009). Guide to local elaboration: WHO recommended formulations for hand disinfection.