The whey or whey is the remainder when curdled milk, ie, it is the fluid that separates from milk during this process. Surely you’ve ever seen it in yogurts, fresh cheese, spreadable cheese or, if you’ve ever made it, butter and cream. Although this product was once discarded, today it is of great importance both in the diet of athletes, as well as in gastronomy and pastries.
On a nutritional level, whey contains two kinds of proteins: 80% casein and 20% whey protein (both of high biological value). Among the benefits, derived from the properties of its components, the following stand out:
- Helps fight depression
- Fight constipation
- Reduces “bad” cholesterol
- Increase the consumption of proteins and amino acids
- Balances blood pressure
- Control blood sugar
- Increase muscle mass
- Increase physical energy
- Decrease appetite
- Helps in weight loss.
Did you know the benefits of buttermilk ? Well, whatever your answer is, now we will also tell you how to make homemade buttermilk . The recipe is very easy, as only 2 ingredients. In addition, we will share with you how to use buttermilk in your meals and other tips.
- 1 cup of whole milk (1 glass)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
Steps to follow:
Pour the ingredients into a bowl. To make buttermilk, the ingredients must be at room temperature, not cold, and not hot.
Stir the ingredients a little to integrate them.
Wait 20 minutes. After that time, you will see that it acquires a cut texture, that is, with lumps. Stir the cut milk very well, but slowly. Place the preparation in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to finish setting.
Once curdled, a yellow liquid will appear. That substance will be the buttermilk. Strain the preparation. Pass it through a metal strainer covered with gauze or porous cloth. Put a bowl down and let the preparation drain little by little. In the end you will get a whitish liquid, something yellow and transparent. Meanwhile, the thick part will remain in the strainer
Reserve both the liquid part and the thick part. Pack the products obtained separately and in sterilized glass jars. If the thick part is mixed with salt, you will get a very tasty liquid cheese, like Venezuelan buttermilk .
Store it in the fridge. It will be kept in perfect condition for 1 week.
Tips for making homemade buttermilk
Some good tips never hurt when we learn how to make buttermilk, so keep the following recommendations in mind if you want a good result:
- Use whole milk. Avoid using skim or semi-skim milk, as these types of milk do not curdle very well, because they contain low fat content.
- You can substitute the lemon for another acid component. Replace it with vinegar or cream of tartar.
- Let it sit for two days before consuming it.
Whey is especially beneficial for athletes who perform intensive training, as it helps them develop and recover muscles.
Recipes with buttermilk and what it is for
Although making buttermilk is wonderful for our diet, a little is unknown about its practical applications. For this reason, here are a few ways for you to know how to drink buttermilk and what it is for in meals:
- Dressing for sweet or savory salads. In salty salads, the acid component of the dressing, that is, vinegar or lemon juice, is replaced by whey. If it’s sweet salads, just add it on top. You can use it in a country salad, for example.
- Marinade for meats. Although it works for most meats, it is especially good for chicken breast. For example, it can be used in battered or fried chicken (franchise type), as it feels crunchier, juicier and with a very special flavor.
- To moisten dry legumes. If it feels a bit dry and bland, add a splash.
- Added in smoothies. This recommendation is especially beneficial for people who need to increase their protein intake.
- Added in protein shakes. The basic ingredients of a protein shake are egg whites, milk or buttermilk, a fruit and some cereal or dried fruit. These shakes are aimed at athletes, people in gyms or people on diets (depending on the type of diet). Discover here more Homemade protein shakes to increase muscle mass r.
- To enrich breakfast. Top with muesli, chopped fruit, or chopped nuts. Thus, it will help you gain muscle mass and lose weight.
- Helps to better ferment dough. If you use buttermilk, you will get much fluffier and taller pizzas, donuts and biscuits. In addition, they will gain nutrients.
- Helps raise biscuits, cupcakes, and other recipes. The serum participates in the activation of the leavening agent (especially bicarbonate). In this way, the cakes are higher, fluffier and more nutritious. This ingredient is used to prepare red velvet.
- Flan with buttermilk. In the case of homemade flan , the whey works as a replacement for milk.
- Pancakes or hotcakes. The serum gives them fluffiness and a unique flavor.
Difference between buttermilk and buttermilk
Perhaps it has ever happened to you that in a recipe they ask you for buttermilk or buttermilk . So the question arises: are both products the same thing? Well no, although the differences are very small, they do exist, so we will tell you:
- Buttermilk is fattier and thicker than buttermilk. Buttermilk is liquid and looks more like milk.
- Buttermilk is more acidic than buttermilk.
- During the buttermilk making process, the whey and the solid part are separated, but neither is removed. On the other hand, when preparing buttermilk, both products are reserved separately.
- Buttermilk is prepared with the whey that arises when preparing butter, although it is also made using milk cream (a product used to prepare butter). Instead, whey does not come from milk derivatives, but directly from it.
- Both products are used for baking and cooking. However, if it is healthy food for athletes or people who train, whey is commonly used.
- Both ingredients are called whey, as they are the result of curdling a dairy product.
- During the preparation of buttermilk and buttermilk, an acid ingredient is always added, responsible for cutting or curdling the milk.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to make buttermilk , we recommend that you enter our Recipes category.
- You can take 1-2 tbsp of serum a day (25-50 gr) after exercising.
- Whey has more sugar and protein than supplements.
- If your diet is high in protein, milk protein supplements are unnecessary.
- Buttermilk is not recommended for lactose intolerant people.
- Whey contains vitamins of the type B (B1, B6 and B12), vitamins C and D. In addition, it provides many minerals.
- In Venezuela they call whey the solid part that is produced when the milk curdles, not the liquid part. The liquid part is usually discarded.
- Whey generally provides 27 calories and 0.9 grams of protein per 100 grams.